Thursday, February 1, 2018

Thrifty Thursday - How We Did With The Pantry Challenge

I didn’t really have a good picture to go with this post.  Let’s face it, pictures of a bunch of cans of tomatoes are kind of boring, so I thought I’d share this picture of Caroline.  I think she looks adorable, and I’m always happy to share pet pictures.  Now, on to the actual post.

It’s finally February.  January always seems like the longest month to me, but it’s finally over, and we’re a little closer to spring.

With the end of January comes the end of the Pantry Challenge.  I think we did fairly well with it, though we still have a long way to go.  I have a serious grocery shopping addiction, and an extreme habit of overbuying groceries.  Not for the last month, though.

Our grocery total for the month of January came to $63.85.  Not bad for a whole month.  I think it actually could have been lower had a couple of our grocery trips been to Aldi instead of Wal-Mart, but convenience won out twice.  Once when I went to buy cold medicine and picked up a few grocery items while I was there, and once when Nick went to buy a retirement card for a co-worker and picked up a few grocery items while he was there.

I wish I could say we kept our total so low because we’re just that good at buying groceries cheaply, or because I got really creative in the kitchen, but that’s just not the case.  It was really because I’ve stocked up on so many things.

We ate out an average of once a week in January, which is about normal for us.  We also made more of an effort to use up leftovers, rather than letting them get shoved to the back of the fridge, and we made more of an effort to use things up before they expired.  Other than that, it was pretty much cooking and eating as normal.  We bought eggs, milk, yogurt, sugar (because no one wants me to run out of sweet tea) bread, produce, lemon juice (because fresh lemons are way too expensive and pitiful here right now), and probably a few other things that aren’t coming to mind at the moment.  No meats or canned items, though.  All of that came from the freezer and cabinets.

We’ll probably do a modified version of the Pantry Challenge in February, but haven’t decided yet exactly what that will entail.  I’m not in favor of not keeping a very well stocked freezer and pantry because it is nice to have things on hand.  I like being able to make a meal for someone with very little notice, I like not having to rush to the grocery store ahead of bad weather, and it’s nice not to have to go out for things if we’re not feeling well.  That being said, I do need to find a better balance.  It’s probably possible to be well stocked, but not overstocked.

So what about you?  Did you do a Pantry Challenge in January?  Or have you already found the perfect way to be well stocked, but not overstocked

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like it was a success. Yeah, balance would be good. You'll get there. I have faith :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well... as you know, I'm nuts, so I don't think there really is such a thing as overstocked. The key, IMHO, is to have a system and be sure to rotate your stock. So, whenever I bring home anything that's not getting used immediately, I mark the expiration date with a sharpie and make sure to put the newest stuff at the back. I also pull out anything that needs to be used within the next few months and put it front and center where I can be reminded of it on a daily basis until it gets used up. I guess it's sort of like an endless revolving pantry challenge - which works for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have improved in our over stocking lately. Mrs. C always likes to keep a backup, but we have less waste than in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  4. congratulations on the pantry challenge. you did well indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did well! My challenge every winter is to buy groceries every two weeks. It lessens my grocery bill as well but not as good as yours. This time of year, our heating bills are high so it is good to save money in other ways.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't do an official pantry challenge but I did keep track. And did pretty well, but it helped that Rick was traveling for part of that time. I'd say you rocked it! Three cheers on that front. If nothing else, it makes us mindful and that's always important.

    Caroline is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am impressed with your challenge, you did a great job. And Caroline is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've got limited space for storing stuff, so that helps me to not get carried away. Other than that, I just make sure newly purchased stuff is put behind the old stuff, that way it's the older stuff that will be used first. I also regularly have a "leftovers week" where we only buy fresh stuff, and use up leftovers or things we've had for a while.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! Please leave your link so I can visit you as well.