Sunday, January 14, 2018

Word Of The Year

I’ve never chosen a word for the year before.  Honestly, the practice has always seemed a little hokey to me.  Or at least unnecessary.  I’m not a New Year’s Resolutions kind of person.  Maybe it’s because I dislike January so much.

Then I read this post about choosing a word for the year, and for some reason it just resonated with me.  Choosing a word for the year suddenly seemed less hokey, and more like having a plan.  I’m a planner, so looking at it as a plan for the year suddenly made choosing a word much more appealing to me.

So how do you choose a word for the year?  There are well over 100,000 words in the English language, which makes for a lot of choices.  How do you pick one? 

I decided to go with thinking about what I want to do this year.  What do I hope to accomplish?  What would I like to change?  What needs improvement? 

The answers to those questions are essentially the same thing they were last year, the year before that, and so on.  I want to blog more.  I want to finally write a cookbook.  I want and need to become more physically active.  I want and need to get the house more organized, and get rid of clutter.  I want us to be out of debt.  There are what feel like about a million little things somewhat near us that I want us to go see and do.  I want to travel more.  There are things we both want to do with the house and yard, and things we really need to do with the house.  There are things I want to do for other people that I haven’t gotten around to yet. 

So what one word ties all of those things in together?  Write doesn’t cover everything.  Exercise doesn’t cover everything.  Travel doesn’t cover everything.  Improve would work, I think, but somehow it doesn’t feel quite right to me.

I finally settled on “do”.  It seems to cover everything.  All of the things I want to do are just that - things I want to DO



I realized that I spend a lot of time talking and thinking about things I want to do, but very little time actually doing them.  That needs to change. 

I realize that suddenly saying I’m going to accomplish all of these things all at once is almost a surefire way to not actually do anything.  At least for me.  I’m not going to suddenly plan a huge trip, write a cookbook, schedule dozens of blog posts, and organize every closet and cabinet in our house.  That’s just not practical, and it’s not really how I operate.

My plan is to DO something concrete toward at least one of the things I want to do at least monthly.  I’m sure it will be different things during different times of the year, and my progress will likely be much faster on some fronts than on others.  That’s okay, though.  As long as I’m doing something I think I’m better off than I was before.  It’s moving in the right direction, and making progress, however slow it may be.  I think that’s really all we can do.  Keep moving in the direction we need or want to go.  Just do something

To that end, I’m finally sharing some pictures I took when we visited the Angel Oak in October.  I’ve been meaning to post them since then, but just haven’t gotten around to it.  So I’m doing it now.  I realize they aren’t technically great pictures, but I just really liked how the light and the sky looked coming through the branches.  I hope you’ll enjoy them too.

So what about you?  Do you choose a word for the year?  If you do, what is your word for 2018?

8 comments:

  1. My word is breathe! It is shaping up to be a hard year!

    Beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like those pictures. Very nice.

    The best way to accomplish such huge goals is to break them into smaller chunks. You want to write a cookbook? Do you need to plan recipes? How about making a plan to try out one new recipe a week? You want to declutter your house? Pick a room. Make that the goal for the month--declutter that room.

    Obvious stuff, I know. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's such a great action word, Danielle! We look forward to hearing about what you DO this year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Do" is a wonderful word. I know what you mean about the hokey part. I thought that too. But like you, I had goals, some that fit with others and collectively they seemed too impossible. So finding a word that focused on something on which I need to improve without being so specific it traps me really appeals. My words (I did two) this year are "extend" (go beyond the surface, don't just "get by" but "dig in") and NOW (since I have a bit of a procrastination streak. We'll see what happens!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK, I love, Love, LOVE those photos! I have a friend who's an artist, and recently she's been doing these abstract paintings using a technique called paint pouring. When I first glanced at your post, I thought for a moment that I was on her page looking at her gorgeous paintings!

    Anyhow, I LOVE your word of the year. It made me think of one of my favorite quotes. I was a big fan of the TV show, Northern Exposure back in the 1990s. Not sure if you've ever seen it, but it's an odd combination of comedy and spirituality. Anyhow, in one episode, one of the characters, Ed - a young Inuit man, wants to make a film, but he doesn't know where to begin. He turns to the local shaman who says: The path to our destination is not always a straight one, Ed. We go down the wrong road, we get lost, we turn back. Maybe it doesn't matter which road we embark on. Maybe what matters is that we embark.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great word, and excellent plan... Good luck!

    I've picked a word for the year in the past, but not in the last couple of years, and not this year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good choice. I don't have a word but I have a phrase for 2018. It is what it is.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i haven't picked a word yet for this year. but i think you have a good one indeed.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! Please leave your link so I can visit you as well.