Sunday, November 17, 2013

Number 1 – CPR Saturday

Yesterday was the first day of my 31 Things Project.  It was also CPR Saturday in our county.

The local fire departments and EMS teamed up to offer free adult hands-only CPR at almost all of the local fire departments.  All you had to do was show up, and they’d teach you how to do the chest compressions.

My husband has wanted me to learn this for a long time.  He was working yesterday, so I asked a co-worker to come with me.  She agreed, so we went and learned the compressions.  They were sending free kits (including a practice mannequin and DVD) home with anyone who would agree to teach five people.We decided to share a kit since we can come up with five people with just our other co-workers. 


It’s much more physically demanding than I realized, and I’m not very good at it, but at least I know something now.  And I can practice on the mannequin.  I still wouldn’t be the first choice for CPR, but as they told us yesterday, any CPR is better than no CPR. 

10 comments:

  1. I think that CPR is a good thing to know. Good that you can practice on the mannequin too! A very worthy start to your 31 things project!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think I still need a lot of practice. :-)

      Delete
  2. Woot! That's an awesome thing to learn and very true at least you have an idea now of what to do :) I went a few years back (I need to update mine) and learned for adults/kids and pets. Hopefully we'll never need to know how but good to have a little training :) Great pick for your first day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right about that! Hopefully we'll never need it, but it's good to know. :-)

      Delete
  3. Hi Danielle,

    Good Monday morning from England. Learning CPR is indeed a very useful skill to have. It seems you've got quite the project going here. I'd better backtrack....

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Hopefully it's knowledge I will never need!

      Delete
  4. CPR is a great place to start! I remember learning it in high school, but I'm sure I could use a refresher. Looking forward to reading about more of what you do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You may want to contact your local Fire Department to see if they offer any classes.

      Delete
  5. That's so cool. What a great and valuable thing to learn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm definitely not good at it, but I feel better knowing at least the basics.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! Please leave your link so I can visit you as well.