Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Weekend Deal

I meant to post this earlier, like on the weekend, but as usual time got away from me.  So here I am on Tuesday posting about my weekend deal.

I love saving money on groceries; a good sale, great coupons, or better yet, combining the two, makes me really happy.  I just can’t stand to pay full price for something that sales that can easily be found on.  This usually involves following the sale cycles and stocking up on things we use a lot of.

I also like to keep two cup (seems to be the amount most recipes call for) packages of shredded cooked chicken in the freezer.  On really busy days sometimes that head start on dinner is all that stands between me and the temptation to order pizza.  I usually wait for the bone-in chicken breasts to go on sale and cook them in slow cooker for the frozen chicken packets. 

Last week we used up our last package of chicken, so I’ve been looking for a sale.  None of the local grocery stores had the chicken on sale last week, so I decided to check Sam’s Club (my mom added me to her membership) to see if it was a good deal to buy it in a large package.  The price on the bone-in chicken breasts didn’t rock my world, but I did come across whole chickens reduced for quick sale.  They still had two days before their sell by date and were 83 cents a pound.  Happy dance!  I bought two of the two packs and it worked out to around $4.25 per chicken. 

I cooked two of the chickens in the slow cooker with garlic, parsley, and red pepper flakes.  I shredded the meat and put two cups in freezer bags.  I love knowing I have that head start on dinner when I need it.  I froze the other two chickens whole to use later for roasted chicken dinners.  


Sometimes it really pays off to check the reduced for quick sale items.  Have you found any great grocery deals lately?  

8 comments:

  1. mmmm i wanna come to dinner at your house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh love when that happens! Most of my good deals lately have been book related but it's always nice when it's at the grocery store too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Book related good deals are awesome! I recently went to the library's book sale, and was thrilled with what we found.

      Delete
  3. Bing and I get so frustrated. It is actually cheaper for us to buy a cooked whole chicken from the deli than to make one ourselves. That just seems wrong....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That one is a little scary. I always wonder how they manage that. I like to think they sell the cooked chickens at a loss to get you in so you'll buy the stuff go with it from them. I don't know, though. It's still a little scary.

      Delete
  4. What a terrific deal, and that's a great idea about the frozen shredded chicken! We'll have to do that. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely helps to have that head start on really busy days.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! Please leave your link so I can visit you as well.