Sunday, September 9, 2012

Greetings From The Dark Side


It’s not better here, and they don’t have cookies!  I posted earlier this summer about my new Kindle, or at least being a co-owner of a new Kindle, and how I was a little hesitant about it.  It turns out that I was right.  I’m just not a Kindle kind of girl.

I’ve read exactly one book on the Kindle, and that’s because I ran out of books from the library over the weekend.  See what poor planning gets you?  It wasn’t a book that was even available at the library (I guess that might be the one positive in this – I did get to read a book that I wouldn’t have been able to otherwise) so once I started on the Kindle I was stuck. 

The Kindle doesn’t seem to be the right size for my hands; one hand gets cramped and I drop it when I try to press the button to turn the page, two hands hide the screen.  I also managed to get it stuck on Spanish a few times, which was annoying.  It took me about three times as long to finish the book as a hard copy of similar length usually does, and just wasn’t an enjoyable experience.                                             

So I am leaving the dark side.  I am back to actual books with real pages that you can turn, and that don’t have to be charged.  Real books are the way to go as far as I’m concerned.  I won’t say that I’ll never use the Kindle again, after all there are still some Louisa May Alcott books on there that I haven’t read and can’t find anywhere else, but it’s definitely going to be a while before I attempt them.  The Kindle will be reserved for times when I run out of reading material, and I’m not going to let that happen any time soon. 

Has anyone else given up on the Kindle?  Anyone else with me on actual books being the way to go?

5 comments:

  1. I love my Kindle....I have close to 200 books on it now, most of them free. I do find the typos etc a tad annoying but 'you get used to it'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have a Kindle, and I've never used one. The thing is, I have no interest in ever getting one, so I guess you could say that I've given up on the Kindle without even giving it a try. I can see where it could be useful at times, but I love to hold my books!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the feel and smell (weird, I know) of real books. My husband has offered to let me use his Nook, but so far I have not. Just not interested. I spend enough time looking at a screen every day. When I get time to curl up with a book, I want to curl up with an actual book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I won't try one in the first place because I don't like reading from a screen. At school and work I would print out anything I needed to read that was of any significant length. If I had a Kindle I would probably more so use it for games or internet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! Glad to hear you have left the dark side. Here's my worry though-what if they decide to stop making real books? What will we do??

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! Please leave your link so I can visit you as well.